Ahh yes, you didn’t think I would have one for you tonight did you!? I’m gonna make this one quick also.. because I need sleep!
unofficial change log:
- The birth of AI, yes… zombies now hunt down the healthy
- and the healthy, naturally, run like hell!
- Totally reworked the movement algorithm
- A few small bug fixes, and layout for future improvement
ohh yes, and one last thing.. remember C++ does not pass variable by reference by default… I was hunting down this ‘bug’ for at least an hour before that clicked in my head. I haven’t worked with C++ in such a while that this little (yet critically important) fact slipped my mind.
Song of the minute: “Impossible: Manafest”
Grab the latest version on the side bar! —->
As I do understand this is a blog, and most blogs people are suppose to ramble on forever about things and stuff (if you are unsure what I mean, please refer to ANY previous post of mine).. but right now that is not the case. I need sleep before work. So this will be short and sweet, I just needed to release something before the start of the work week as to show SOME progress. You ‘public’ might like this one, its the first step towards the buzz word *interactive*!
Oh and for those who want to actually read a blog for its epic long story, I suppose I will post a summation of what great lengths I had to go through to get to this point of application… just not right now, maybe later.
unofficial Change log:
- User is now in world space, instead of game space.
- one with the others… meaning you can get sick from zombies
- I can now request multiple ‘players’ from my engine, a nice feature for multi-player additions. Should make things easy
- Also state changes and swap controls should be easy(ier) with this system
- Different graphics, I feel these new place-holder graphics depict the game quite well. Gotta love programmer art.
- Also you may notice that I was able to cut the programs size by over half.
- quicker downloads for you, lower bandwidth for me… win-win
Song of the minute: “No Love: Eminem ft. Lil Wayne”
For those of you that simply want the goods, here it is:
Just as I had stated that by the wee hours of the morn I would have something to show. Keep in mind that only about half of my time that I spent tonight was working on this project, another quarter went to OS customization, and then another quarter goes to the singing of “Nightmare Before Christmas” movie soundtrack (very catchy toons might I add, if you already didn’t know). I also decided to meet half way with my distribution idea, and restructure my file organization. Also I have just (re)discovered a beautiful feature built into my web server… and that would be auto created indexes! YES! What does this mean to you? Well this means that if you browse to the following link: http://www.centerorbit.com/public/centerorbit/ you will see that there is (currently) one folder and a parent directory… from here you can browse to any past application that I have (or will) put out for you all to see! Of course please be aware that my current development is focused on just the zombie folder.
Here is a quick list of the yet to come ‘changelog’:
- Added multiple ‘dumb’ AI zombies
- Did a lot of porting and shifting and class mods (not user apparent)
- Improved the way classes include other classes (also not user apparent)
- I have increased the frame rate from around 1 fps… to about 60fps
- slightly changed the way assets and application are loaded (also also not user apparent)
- ahh yes, and I do believe the spreading of sickness is working also. It is just not apparent because there is only one graphic, and that would be the zombie graphic. Unbeknownst to the user, there is only ONE ‘sick’ zombie at the start of every game. But which one is it??? I know 🙂 , and I’m not telling!
And if you just happened to miss the huge link at the top of this blog post, here is my nights progress… presented to you in one convenient little exe:
Please do give me feedback (and due to some FB comments ->) of any kind (I suppose I will take destructive comments too (-; ). I do happen to have an old list for milestones and to track versions, but as of now that is not really applicable.
Also to add to my list of accomplishments tonight, I did FINALLY get an SVN server installed and running. It was quite the pain in the butt trying to download the OS image file, but after much digging and work arounds I was able to find a faster way then ever before way to get all of my Ubuntu files. Definitely worth my while. So as we speak (or I type, and then you read later) I am doing the initial setup of my SVN server. Very exciting…
Till next time! ~Andy
Song of the minute: “All The Lonely People: Beatles”
I have recently rekindled my ambition to produce at least ONE game of some sort. I AM a programmer after all (right?). I need something to actually show it, rather than old class examples that I was graded on. I am unsure of what I actually want to fully accomplish, but as of now I am going to mature my zombie/virus simulator/game. The reason that there are so many ‘/’ is because over the course of a couple years I have always thought that an application such as this would be very ‘cool’.
Naturally I get new (but oddly similar) ideas, then I finally just decided to merge all of these branched out ideas into one thing. It will be a simulator that depicts the spread of viruses, to add fun a virus will (of course) produce zombies. There will be a public, a cure rate, health, spread rate, etc… Then to add user interaction, I will put a player in this scene. Typical of many zombie games, weapons will be involved. I am unsure of what kind of weapons, but my goal is not (and was never) to make a game based on mindlessly kill things.. even if the things you are killing are already dead.. That game concept becomes very boring to me very fast, and the only reason I add a player is to draw interest (personal interest as well as public) to the game.